[R] Help/information required

Ajay Arvind Rao AjayArvind.Rao at gmrgroup.in
Mon Sep 18 06:24:46 CEST 2017

Hi,

We are using open source license of R to analyze data at our organization. The system configuration are as follows:

*        System configuration:

o   Operating System - Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, 64 bit (Desktop)

o   RAM - 8 GB

o   Processor - i5-6500 @ 3.2 Ghz

*        R Version:

o   R Studio 1.0.136

o   R 3.4.0

While trying to merge two datasets we received the following resource error message on running the code
Code: merg_data <- merge(x=Data_1Junto30Jun,y=flight_code,by.x="EB_FLNO1",by.y="EB_FLNO1",all.x = TRUE)
Error Message: Error: cannot allocate vector of size 5.8 Gb

Later we tried running the code differently but error still remained
Code: merg_data <- sqldf("Select * from Data_1Junto30Jun as a inner join flight_code as b on a.EB_FLNO1=b.EB_FLNO1")
Error Message: Error: cannot allocate vector of size 200.0 Mb

We have upgraded the RAM to 8 GB couple of months back. Can you let us know options to resolve the above issue without having to increase the RAM? The size of the datasets are as follows:

*        Data_1Junto30Jun (513476 obs of 32 variables). Data size - 172033368 bytes / 172 MB

*        flight_code (478105 obs of 2 variables). Data size - 3836304 bytes / 4 MB

Help with determining system requirement:
Is there a way to determine minimum system requirement (hardware and software) depending on size of the data, the way the data is loaded into R (directly from server or in a flat file) and the type of analysis to be run?
We have not been able to get any specific information related to this and are estimating the requirements through a trial and error method. Any information on this front will be helpful.

Thanks,
Ajay Rao
Strategy & Planning Group (SPG)
GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd.
Landline No: +91 40 66604051 / +91-9723465186
Email ID: AjayArvind.Rao at gmrgroup.in<mailto:AjayArvind.Rao at gmrgroup.in>

This e-mail contains information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient , you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please destroy it and notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone. Internet E-mail messages may be subject to delays, non-delivery and unauthorised alterations and we shall not be responsible for the consequence(s) in such event(s). All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this E-mail. We cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this E-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.