[R] draw a circle with a gradient fill

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 17:37:51 CEST 2017

There are lots of different ways to do this. I don't use plotrix, which
uses base R graphics functionality, so I can't help you with your current
approach. However, it is easy to do this "by hand" in the newer,
object-based grid package (on which ggpot and lattice are built) . The
idea, which probably works for plotrix, too, is to simply draw concentric
circles of *decreasing* radiii with a gradient of fill colors; each
successive fill will overwrite the previous one.

Here's some code using grid that you can customize that gives you the idea.
Obviously, you'd also have to add your color bar using grid graphics
functionaity, which is again straightforward.

grid.newpage()
mycols<- colorRampPalette(c("yellow","orange","red"))
radii = .3*seq(1,.05,length.out = 25)
grid.circle(x=.5,y=.5, r = radii,
         gp= gpar(fill=mycols(25), lwd = 0))

However, probably plotrix and ggplot would allow you to do this more easily
with higher level graphics funtions. Searching (e.g. on rseek.org) might
bring up what you want if you don't get a more satisfactory reply here.

Finally, **Please** post in plain text, not HTML. As you can see from the
quoted message below, your text got mangled. This, of course, will
discourage others to give you the response you need.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."