[R] [R-pkgs] randomForestSRC 2.5.1 and OpenMP

Udaya B. Kogalur kogalurshear at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 19:25:02 CEST 2017

Dear useRs:

The latest build of randomForestSRC (2.5.1) includes a configuration
file that switches on the -fopenmp tag during compilation on systems
that support OpenMP parallel processing.  Previously, to achieve
parallel processing, we required the additional step of executing an
autoconf command before compiling and installing the package from
source.

We also believe the binaries provided by CRAN for Windows, and MacOS
El Capitan support OpenMP out-of-the-box on many systems.  If you are
running a serial version of our package, we strongly recommend an
upgrade path that will allow you to run the parallel version.  The
performance gains will be significant especially in large n and large
p scenarios.  This upgrade path may be as simple as installing the
2.5.1 CRAN binaries.  But, on some systems, it may also involve a
scenario where you will need to install an OpenMP capable C-compiler
such as GCC, and then compile and install 2.5.1 from source.

Documentation and more can be found at:
https://kogalur.github.io/randomForestSRC/

Thank you.

Udaya Kogalur