[R] ggplot2 and tikzDevice : problems with accents

Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen traxplayer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 22:03:58 CEST 2017

On 22 October 2017 at 17:56, Jacques Ropers <jropers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I can't fathom why the accented "é" in the following ggplot2 graph makes
> R hangs when using tikzdevice,  whereas it works using simple pdf device.

[...]

I just tried your code and my R doesn't hang but it does give an TeX-error:

(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dError in getMetricsFromLatex(TeXMetrics, verbose
= verbose) :
TeX was unable to calculate metrics for the following string
or character:

77

Common reasons for failure include:
  * The string contains a character which is special to LaTeX unless
    escaped properly, such as % or $.
  * The string makes use of LaTeX commands provided by a package and
    the tikzDevice was not told to load the package.

Regards
Martin