[R] What exactly is an dgCMatrix-class. There are so many attributes.

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Oct 20 20:42:36 CEST 2017

You should not really have worry about the internal structure of such a
thing - just treat it like a matrix.  E.g.,

> train$data[1:3,1:3] # dots mean 0's
3 x 3 sparse Matrix of class "dgCMatrix"
     cap-shape=bell cap-shape=conical cap-shape=convex
[1,]              .                 .                1
[2,]              .                 .                1
[3,]              1                 .                .
> dim(train$data)
[1] 6513  126
> p <- train$data %*% matrix(1:126, ncol=1)
> dim(p)
[1] 6513    1

If that doesn't work in some situation, convert it to a matrix with
as.matrix.

To see the details, in R, type
   class?dgCMatrix
or
   help("dgCMatrix-class")
In a browser seach window type
   R dgCmatrix
You should not have to make use of those details in your code.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com