[R] overlaying points and lines on a surface3d rgl plot with axes

Vivek Sutradhara viveksutra at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 20:52:07 CEST 2017

Hi R-users,
I think that I have figured out what I should do. But I would welcome any
comments clarifying any of the questions that I have raised.  (I am showing
my revised code below). The questions which are still unresolved for me are
the following :
1. With the points3d or the plot3D function, the points that are plotted
land on the backside of the surface. How do I bring them to the front. I
have partially solved the problem for points and lines by making the
surface transparent with alpha=0.5. Is there a better way?
2. For a different data set, I have to rotate the surface to arrive at the
optimum theta and phi angles. Is there a way of interactively finding out
what these angles are (i.e. from the initial position). After arriving at
this optimum angle, is there then a method of plotting the points on top of
the surface?
Thanks, Vivek

The code which worked for me :
library(rgl)
vol2 <- 2*volcano # Exaggerate the relief
library(reshape)
mvol2 <- melt(vol2)
str(mvol2)
x <- 1:nrow(vol2)
y <- 1:ncol(vol2)
zlim <- range(vol2)
zlen <- zlim[2] - zlim[1] + 1
colorlut <- terrain.colors(zlen)
open3d()
persp3d(x, y, vol2, col = colorlut)
grid3d(c("x", "y+", "z"))
surface3d(x, y, vol2, color = col, back = "lines")