[R] make check Error: could not get timezone

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sat Oct 14 19:58:47 CEST 2017

Your confusion would be alleviated if you read the whole thing. E.g.

Questions likely to prompt discussion unintelligible to non-programmers should rather go to R-devel than R-help. [...] For example, questions involving C, C++, etc. code should go to R-devel.

It is unfortunate that the errors involved in installing R on some platforms involve understanding C, but it is a reality that goes with such broad platform support and parsing through C compiler errors is not what this list is about.

In addition, anything you do with a patched or development version of R bears the risk of incomplete support, discussion of which belongs on R-devel. Patched versions are intended to fix specific bugs, so if you are not immediately inconvenienced by such a bug or are not prepared to help fix or at least troubleshoot problems then you probably should not be installing those versions.