[R] tcltk problems

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 12:02:16 CET 2017

This is normal, but you're not reading it right. Typically, a program conftest.c is generated on the fly and contains something like a #include of something you may or may not have. The first part of the program is labeled /* conftest.h */ which indicates that it is taken from that file of standard definitions.

The contents of confdefs.h is actually mostly irrelevant (though I suppose there are cases when it isn't), the interesting bit is usually the line(s) that comes from elsewhere, e.g.

| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_UTIME_H 1
| #define HAVE_ARPA_INET_H 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <dl.h>
configure:23459: result: no
configure:23459: checking for dl.h
configure:23459: result: no

This whole thint is about whether or not your system contains dl.h. When the compile fails, configure concludes that it doesn't.

You only get to see the programs when they fail, but the same mechanism is behind all the other tests, like

configure:23459: checking langinfo.h presence
configure:23459: gcc -arch x86_64 -E -I/usr/local/include conftest.c
configure:23459: $? = 0
configure:23459: result: yes
configure:23459: checking for langinfo.h
configure:23459: result: yes

In some other cases, there is a rudimentary main() function, usually to check existence of specific library routines, and in a few cases there is a check whether the compiled program  actually runs.

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501