[R] Adding Records to a Table in R

Paul Bernal paulbernal07 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:45:54 CET 2017

Dear R friends,

I am currently working with time series data, and I have a table(as data
frame) that has looks like this (TransitDate are in format = "%e-%B-%Y") :

TransitDate       Transits      CargoTons
1985-04-01        100            2500
1985-05-01        135            4500
1985-06-01        120            1750
1985-07-01        100            3750
1985-08-01        200            1250

The problem is, that there are several periods that don´t exist in the
table, so it has the following behavior:

TransitDate        Transits      CargoTons
1985-04-01        100             1000
1985-07-01        100             1080
1985-12-01        500             3785
1986-04-01        325             4200
.
.
2017-09-01        400             2350 (*this is the last observation)

You can see in the last table fragment that the series jumps from
1985-04-01 to 1985-07-01, then it jumps from there to 1985-12-01 making the
time series quite irregular (non-constant chronologically speaking).

What I want to do is create a dummy table that has the sequence from the
first observation (1985-04-01) up to the last one (2017-09-01) and then
develop a code that checks if the dates contained in the dummy table exist
in the original table, if they don´t exist then add those dates and put
zeroes on the fields.

How can I achieve this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Best regards,