[R] adding predictor to linear model without changing existing coefficients

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 16:48:12 CEST 2017

You should consult a linear models text, but, assuming I have
correctly understood your post, the procedure is this (the translation
to R code is trivial, and I leave it to you):

Let y be the response variable, P1 be the first set of predictors and
z be your new predictor to be added.

1. regress y on P1; let r1 be the residuals from this model, call it M1.

2. regress z on P1 and let r2 be the residuals from this model

3. regress r1 on r2, Call this model M2

Than the predictions obtained from the model y ~ P1 + z are the same
(within numerical error) as those obtained by adding the predictions
from M1 to the predictions of M2. As Gerrit mentioned, the
coefficients from the full fit model will be different than those
obtained from the seprate model fitting procedure.

Cheers,
Bert

Cheers,
Bert