[R] functions similar to glm

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu May 11 16:53:06 CEST 2017

> On May 11, 2017, at 6:31 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <br at dmstat1.com> wrote:
>
> Bert:
> Not clear to me.
> Where mentioned are the functions similar to glm, if you please?

The basis for the similarity was stated as having an available link function (and I suspected, an inverse as well.) I, for one, wouldn't have been surprised if `lm` were not in the list because `glm` with a 'gaussian' link would provide the same capabilities.   I read the basis as stating that a family-object be available (an object with the features described on the `?family` page. If I were correct, then running `methods(family)` would provide a list of the family objects that are available for loaded packages:

> methods("family")
[1] family.glm*    family.lm*     family.negbin*
see '?methods' for accessing help and source code

So lm would qualify as well.

> require(lme4)
> methods("family")
[1] family.glm*     family.glmResp* family.lm*      family.lmResp*  family.merMod*
[6] family.negbin*  family.nlsResp*
see '?methods' for accessing help and source code

Following Bert's advice (and so reading the manual for you), I find that Vincent Calcagno has stated the criterion somewhat differently in "Using glmulti with any type of statistical model, with examples."
#--------
glmulti works outof-the-box with several types of function (such as lm, glm or coxph), but it can in principle be used with any such function `myttingfunction`, as long as
 1. The function receives a model specication in the form of a formula;
 2. The function ts the model by maximum likelihood, which can be accessed through the standard `LogLik` function;

Even when the two conditions above are veried, complications arise because, unfortunately, dierent tting functions have dierent conventions regarding how characteristics of the t should be accessed. Indeed, most of them come from dierent packages with dierent authors and there is no common standard so far.
#--------

--
David