[R] Antwort: RE: Antwort: Re: Factors and Alternatives (SOLVED)

G.Maubach at weinwolf.de G.Maubach at weinwolf.de
Tue May 9 15:37:42 CEST 2017

Hi David,
Hi Bob,

many thanks for your help.

Your solution - just to use all levels instead of just the one's found in
the data - helped.

The original code looked like this:

-- cut --

c_v10_val_labs <- c(
  "1 = sehr gut",
  "2", "3", "4", "5",
  "6 = sehr schlecht"
)

# where c_v10_val_labs is handed over to my function as "val_labs".

  ds_results$value <- factor(ds_results$value,
                             levels = sort(unique(ds_results$value)),  #
old code
                             labels = sort(unique(val_labs)))

-- cut --

If I write instead

-- cut --

  ds_results$value <- factor(ds_results$value,
                             levels = seq_along(val_labs),  # new code 1st
version
                             labels = sort(unique(val_labs)))

-- cut --

Your solution builds a factor with all factor levels even if a value for
factor is not present (not NA, but does just not occur in the data, i.e.
not stated by any respondent).

In Zumel's book "Practical Data Science with R" (
https://www.amazon.de/Practical-Data-Science-Nina-Zumel/dp/1617291560),
Shelter Island: Manning, 2014, p. 23-24, Listing 2-5, a mapping using
subscripts is described:

-- cut --

mapping <- list(
'A40'='car (new)',
'A41'='car (used)',
'A42'='furniture/equipment',
'A43'='radio/television',
'A44'='domestic appliances',
)

for(i in 1:(dim(d))[2]) {
if(class(d[,i])=='character') {
d[,i] <- as.factor(as.character(mapping[d[,i]]))
}
}

-- cut -

Simple stated this would mean:

-- cut --

val_labs <- list(
  "1" = "1 = sehr gut",
  "2" = "2",
  "3" = "3",
  "4" = "4",
  "5" = "5",
  "6" = "6 = sehr schlecht"
)

set.seed(12345)
answers = c(sample(1:5, 10, replace = TRUE))

test <- factor(unlist(val_labs[answers]))

# or just

val_labs <- c(
  "1 = sehr gut",
  "2",
  "3",
  "4",
  "5",
  "6 = sehr schlecht"
)

set.seed(12345)
answers = c(sample(1:5, 10, replace = TRUE))

test <- val_labs[answers]

-- cut --

Adapting this to my code would give:

-- cut --

  ds_results$value <- factor(ds_results$value,
                             levels = sort(unique(ds_results$value)),
                             labels =
val_labs[sort(unique(ds_results$value))])  # new code 2nd version

-- cut --

This results in a factor just as long as the vector of unique resulting
values.

Both solutions work. Which version is best depends on the overall process
and the purpose of the code. I document all this for use by readers who
refer later to the list archives.

Using your version and running my code reveals that ggplot runs into
difficulties cause the legend lacks values and the sequence and coloring
of the legend is wrong. But that's another story.

Many thanks again for your help.

Kind regards

Georg