[R] [FORGED] Re: Example of the use of the "crt" graphical parameter?

Paul Murrell paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Tue May 2 01:42:54 CEST 2017

Hi

I do not recall ever using crt.  A grep of the source code suggests that
no user-level functions ever refer to it either.  In other words, it
appears to be basically unimplemented.

Specifically with regard to text in the margins of a base plot, in
addition to every function ignoring crt, only the text() function
listens to srt (and that draws in the plot region, not the margins);
mtext() (for margin text) only listens to las, so can only do horizontal
or vertical.

Paul

On 02/05/17 09:47, Michael Hannon wrote:
> Thanks, Bert.  I *did* mean crt, and I did read (and re-read) the man
> page.  What I'm lacking, and the only thing I'm asking for, is a
> working example of the use of that parameter.
>
> -- Mike
>

> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hard to know what you want or did without code.
>>
>> But, a guess: did you want the "srt" parameter and not  "crt"?
>>
>> Of course, it's always useful to read the man page, in this case for
>> ?par, where it says:
>>
>> (for crt):  "A numerical value specifying (in degrees) how **single
>> characters** should be rotated. It is unwise to expect values other
>> than multiples of 90 to work. Compare with srt which does string
>> rotation." [note: "string" = several characters = text]
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Bert
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>> and sticking things into it."
>>

>> On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Michael Hannon
>> <jmhannon.ucdavis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi, folks.  This is an issue that we've defined away, but I recently
>>> thought it would be useful to rotate characters in some marginal text
>>> in a base-R plot.  I made a few stabs on using the "crt" parameter but
>>> was unsuccessful.
>>>
>>> I'm deliberately omitting details of my attempts, as I want just to
>>> focus on the following: if you know of any working example of the use
>>> of that parameter. will you please send me a link to it?  Thanks.
>>>
>>> (Note that there are *many* links to Cathode Ray Tubes,)
>>>
>>> -- Mike

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics
The University of Auckland