[R] Looping Through DataFrames with Differing Lenghts

Ng Bo Lin ngbolin91 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 15:15:32 CEST 2017

Hi Paul,

Using the example provided by Ulrik, where

> exdf1 <- data.frame(Date = c("1985-10-01", "1985-11-01", "1985-12-01”, "1986-01-01"), Transits = c(NA, NA, NA, NA))
> exdf2 <- data.frame(Date = c("1985-10-01", "1986-01-01"), Transits = c(15,20)),

You could also try the following function:

for (i in 1:dim(exdf1)[1]){
        if (!exdf1[i, 1] %in% exdf2[, 1]){
                exdf2 <- rbind(exdf2, exdf1[i,])
        }
}

Basically, what the function does is that it runs through the number of rows in exdf1, and checks if the Date of the exdf1 row already exists in Date column of exdf2. If so, it skips it. Otherwise, it binds the row to df2.

Hope this helps!

Side note.: Computational efficiency wise, think Ulrik’s answer is probably better. Presentation wise, his is also much better.

Regards,
Bo Lin