[R] Can fallback font be specified?

Jinsong Zhao jszhao at yeah.net
Sun Mar 26 16:09:50 CEST 2017

Hi there,

I have searched the google, however, I don't find anything that related
with fallback font in R.

I also try to read the source code of R, however, I am not familiar with
C and the algorithm about font specific in text/plot.

Thus, I try to specify different fonts for Latin and non-latin
characters. I try to use expression():

plot(1:10, xlab = "")
mtext(expression(phantom(Hello)*\u4F60\u597D), side = 1, family = "SimSun")
mtext(expression(Hello*phantom(\u4F60\u597D), side = 1, family = "serif")

However, "Hello" in Simsun has a different strwidth with that in serif.
Thus, there are more space between Hello and \u4F60\u597D than it should be.

The other way is to merge a Latin font, such as Times New Roman with a
non Latin font, such as SimSun. There are several fontforge scripts for
the purpose. However, there will cause fontforge core dump. I don't have
chance to test it.

Will the R core team or someone response to it, if I filed a wishlist in
R bugzilla?

Best,
Jinsong