[R] find index in a list of list

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sat Mar 11 17:23:00 CET 2017

Since the offered solution already checks each top level element using the "identical" function, you just need a different comparison function, like perhaps:

mycompare <- function( x, y ) {
   identical( x[[ "a" ]], y[[ "a" ]] ) && identical( x[[ "b" ]], y[[ "b" ]] )
}

Note that your decision to store this data in a list of lists is making this search process much less computationally and syntactically efficient than it would be if you could fit your data into a data frame.