[R] "found 4 marked UTF-8 strings" during check of package... but where !

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 20:06:41 CET 2017

On 10/03/2017 10:44 AM, Marc Girondot via R-help wrote:
> Thanks Duncan and Michael,
>
> Indeed I have data file with utf-8 characters inside. In the
> DESCRIPTION, I have the line Encoding: UTF-8
> but it seems to not be sufficient.

That line describes how text files in your package are to be interpreted.

> In each R page for these data, I have also :
> #' @docType data
> #' @encoding UTF-8

R ignores those lines, but presumably you're running Roxygen2, which
will use them when it produces the .Rd files for the help topics.  They
have nothing to do with the data itself.

> But I still have the notes during check when I try to submit the package
> in CRAN (not in local --as-cran check).
>
> How I could "say" that these data have utf-8 characters inside?

If those are intentional, just say so when you submit to CRAN in the
submission comments, but do read the comments about portability in
section 1.6.3 of the Writing R Extensions manual.

Duncan Murdoch

P.S. This question doesn't belong in R-help, it belongs in
R-package-devel.  If you have any followup questions, please post them
there.