[R] Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Jun 28 12:40:48 CEST 2017

There are many possible responses to the question "Is there a package to do X." Some that I can imagine are:

* Yes, see package Y...
* No, I am familiar with all 10000 packages and there isn't...
* Silence (because no one who is paying attention is familiar with the one that exists)
* Use a search engine...
* You are a jerk because you did not use a search engine
* Packages exist because people like you did not find what they were looking for

My point was that response 5 would have been uncivil, but 6 was a valid reminder and Mehmet was just being brief, not rude.

The first does happen, but it is more common that if the question sounds interesting that this question triggers list members to search for themselves. If the OP tells us that they did this already and package Y (that appears as soon as we do this) is unsuitable for some specific reason, then we all nod and agree that the search engine wasn't up to the task and watch with the OP in case someone does respond with an answer. But when the OP does not do that we get frustrated that yet again we are being treated like a search engine by someone who does not do their homework, since we don't know why they regarded the first search result as unsuitable.

Keep in mind that broadcasting to many uninterested parties when the pool of targeted individuals (in this case,  people who have the answer readily available) is very very small is an activity most people call "spam". Showing your work so that someone else can either see something you missed or share in the joy when a rare answer comes through is what elevates such a posting from spam to shared research.