[R] Changing the order of the factors in a cumulative logit model

Eva Wanek eva.maria.wanek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 14:52:20 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I am using the clm function from the ordinal package to fit a cumulative
logit model. If I run the regression without formatting my dependent
variable (which is a factor), it works fine, however I need to change the
order of the factors to be able to interpret the estimates. I have tried
doing this using the relevel function and the factors are now in the
correct order, but when running the regression now, I get this:

Warning message:(1) Hessian is numerically singular: parameters are
not uniquely determined
In addition: Absolute convergence criterion was met, but relative
criterion was not met

Why is this and what can I do about it?