[R] HPC R configure not recognizing zlib

Hamidi, Bashir hamidib at musc.edu
Thu Jun 22 16:20:16 CEST 2017

System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)

I’ve installed zlib 1.2.11 on the home folder of a Red Hat HPC as part of the process for installing R base 3.4.0.

I get this error even after successful install of zlib
checking for inflateInit2_ in -lz... no
checking whether zlib support suffices... configure: error: zlib library and headers are required

 I’ve checked R documentation and configure file for the issue of R requiring version newer than 1.2.6 but not lexicographically recognizing 1.2.11 as >1.2.6, and that particular bug was patched in 3.4.

Any suggestion and/or input would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Bashir