[R] Hunting a histogram variant

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Thu Jun 22 06:29:57 CEST 2017

Two things to look at are

?monthplot
which shows seasonal subseries plotted on an overall plot.
The parallel to your example is small histograms plotted on an overall plot.
That goes back (through the reference in the Blue Book (Becker,
Chambers, and Wilks)) to
Bill Cleveland and Irma Terpenning in JASA 77, 377, 52-62 (1982).

Starting from scratch I would be inclined to build your design
directly in grid, to place the
subgraphs in the main graph, and then I would use lattice to design
the subgraphs.
See Paul Murrell's book Figure 7.18 (First Edition) showing plots of
temperature for
cities in Australia.

Rich