[R] Help with packages

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Jun 22 02:20:59 CEST 2017

Whatever you do, don't use "Run As Administrator" to install R unless you know exactly why and how you plan to fix the resulting mess.

It is normal not to be able to update the library under Program Files. It is not normal (in my experience) to have problems creating the library under your Documents directory.

One thing that looks odd with your error message is the presence of slashes going  backward (\) as Windows likes and forward (/) as Mac/Linux prefer. Since strings in R use backslash as an escape character, this can sometimes indicate failure to specify the path correctly, but not always. Forward slashes for directory separators usually work within R even on Windows, which means you don't need to escape the backslash ("\\")... but this is a sample of output rather than input so might be just fine.

Alternatively, you may be missing one of

C:/Users/Alejandro/
C:/Users/Alejandro/Documents/

or the permissions on

C:/Users/Alejandro/Documents/R/

might be preventing R from modifying it.