[R] encoding/locale problem with ssh -X

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Wed Jun 21 10:05:33 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I am struggling with remote R sessions and a (I suspect) locale related
encoding problem:  Using the X11 device (X11forwarding enabled),
whenever I try to plot something containing umlauts using ggplot2, I am
seeing sth like

,----
| Error in grid.Call(L_stringMetric, as.graphicsAnnot(x$label)) :
|   invalid use of -61 < 0 in 'X11_MetricInfo'
`----

Using base graphics is fine as is plotting to another device (pdf, say).

Here is some code to reproduce:

,----
| plot(1:10, 1:10, main = "größe")
| ## this works
|
| library("ggplot2")
| qplot(1:10, 1:10)
| ## this works still
|
| qplot(1:10, 1:10) + xlab("größe")
| ## ERROR
`----

My setup:
- locally:
  Linux (Debian GNU/Linux 9)
- remotely
  Linux (RHEL Server release 7.3 (Maipo)

(Maybe) relevant bits of my .ssh/config:

,----
| Host theserver
|      HostName XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
|      ForwardX11 yes