[R] Math ops behaviour with multiple classes

Beck, Cole cole.beck at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Jun 9 00:48:23 CEST 2017

Thanks Bert, I think we agree on the current behaviour, but I'm still not sure if it's desirable.  The mode isn't used for method dispatch.  In the following example, I have to write `log.foo` in order for the correct method to be called.

> x <- seq.int(5)
> class(x) <- c("integer", "foo")
> half <- function(x) UseMethod("half")
> half.default <- function(x) {
+   floor(x) / 2
+ }
> half.integer <- function(x) {
+   x %/% 2
+ }
> half(log(x)) # dispatches half.integer, not desired
[1] 0 0 0 0 0
attr(,"class")
[1] "integer" "foo"
> half(log(seq(5))) # dispatches half.default, as desired
[1] 0.0 0.0 0.5 0.5 0.5
> log.foo <- function(x) {
+   res <- log(as.numeric(x))
+   class(res) <- c("numeric", "foo")
+   res
+ }
> half(log(x)) # dispatches log.foo, then half.default, as desired
[1] 0.0 0.0 0.5 0.5 0.5
attr(,"class")
[1] "numeric" "foo"

Not only would I have to write `log.foo`, but I'd need to add my own `foo` methods for the Math and Ops groups.  Using a different class system might be a better solution, but my preference would definitely be for the base functions to coerce the class to numeric (which it indeed does if there are not multiple classes).

Cole