[R] nmax parameter in factor function

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 06:11:45 CEST 2017

Well, you won't like this, but it is kind of wimpily (is that a word?)
documented:

If you check the code of factor(), you will see that nmax appears as
an argument in a call to unique(). ?unique says for nmax, "... see
duplicated" . And ?duplicated says:

"If nmax is set too small there is liable to be an error: nmax = 1 is
silently ignored."

So sometimes you get an error when nmax is too small with the hash
table error message; and sometimes you just apparently get the nmax
argument ignored:

> identical(factor(letters,nmax = 25), factor(letters,nmax=26))
[1] TRUE

and that, to paraphrase what Roger Hammerstein said about Kansas City,
is about "as fer as I can go."

(http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/e/everythingsuptodateinkansascity.shtml)

Cheers,
Bert