[R] Post for R

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 1 17:48:53 CEST 2017

As Hasan notes, your code is scrambled because you sent your message in html format. This list converts all mail to plain text to make it readable to a wider variety of computers and operating systems around the world. One consequence is that the html code for newline gets ignored. The attached .png file shows how to send plain text messages using yahoo mail. Also use a subject line that is a bit more descriptive, e.g. Splitting a data frame on two variables.

Without knowing more about your data we cannot know if your method of dividing the data into groups is sound. As Jim points out, some of your groups could be empty depending on how the variables max and submax are coded. Using str(df) would help, but we really need a sample data set to try possible approaches. That data set should not be your entire data and can be entirely made up if your data is proprietary.

Your loop does not work because it overwrites Z and G on each step. Also it is completely unnecessary if I understand what you are trying to do. Here's a simple reproducible example, that you can try. It uses only 24 cases divided into 4 max groups and 2 submax groups, but it should show you how you might handle your data. I'll divide the groups into equal ranges, not an equal number of observations, but it is not clear which you want. As a result some groups could be empty, but that does not happen in this example:

# Set a random seed so you will get the same numbers
set.seed(42)
# Create a simple data set with 3 variables
# Name it dfr instead of df which is a function name
# R will normally figure out which you mean unless you make an error
# in which case you will get a cryptic error message about "a closure"
dfr <- data.frame(var=LETTERS[1:24], max=sample.int(100, 24),
    submax=sample.int(100, 24))
# Create your data into 4 and 2 groups
L1 <- cut(dfr$max, 4)
L2 <- cut(dfr$submax, 2)
# Create the combinations of the two groups
L12 <- expand.grid(levels(L1), levels(L2))
# Split the data
dfr.sp <- split(dfr, L12)
length(dfr.sp)
# We get 8 groups, 4x2