[R] How to formulate quadratic function with interaction terms for the PLS fitting model?

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 17:47:04 CEST 2017

??
If I haven't misunderstood, they are completely different!

1) NIR must be a matrix, or poly(NIR,...) will fail.
2) Due to the previously identified bug in poly, degree must be
explicitly given as poly(NIR, degree =2,raw = TRUE).

Now consider the following example:

> df <-matrix(runif(60),ncol=3)
> y <- runif(20)
> mdl1 <-lm(y~df*I(df^2))
> mdl2 <-lm(y~df*poly(df,degree=2,raw=TRUE))
> length(coef(mdl1))
[1] 16
> length(coef(mdl2))
[1] 40

Explanation:
In mdl1, I(df^2) gives the squared values of the 3 columns of df. The
formula df*I(df^2) gives the 3 (linear) terms of df, the 3 pure
quadratics of I(df^2), the 9 cubic terms obtained by crossing these,
and the constant coefficient = 16 coefs.

In mdl2,  the poly() expression gives 9 variiables: 3 linear, 3 pure
quadratic, 3 interactions (1.2, 1.3, 2.3) of these.  The df*poly()
term would then give the 3 linear terms of df, the 9 terms of poly(),
the crossings between these, and the constant coef = 40 coefs. Many of
these will be NA since terms are repeated (e.g. the 3 linear terms of
poly() and df) and therefore cannot be estimated.

Have I totally misunderstood what you meant or committed some other blunder?

Cheers,
Bert
Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."