[R] [Rd] italic font on cairo devices in R 3.4

Ilia Kats ilia-kats at gmx.net
Fri Jul 7 19:08:52 CEST 2017

Interesting. I did not have the package installed, but I did at some
point extract Helvetica from some MacOSX font files and R was using that
just fine until 3.3. This is how the plot looks in 3.4 (still using
Helvetica): https://ptpb.pw/HikX.pdf . After removing Helvetica,
installing the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package, and running fc-cache
--force  the plot looks like this: https://ptpb.pw/CM8A.pdf

Also note that the standard pdf device works fine:
https://ptpb.pw/3Ml1.pdf , it's just the cairo devices (both pdf and
svg) that have the issue. Unfortunately I need to use cairo_pdf due to
unicode characters in axis labels.

Cheers, Ilia