[R] R loop function in Tableau

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jul 7 17:57:50 CEST 2017

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Dai, Shengyu <dais2 at rpi.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi R helpers,
>

> I hope this email finds you well.
>

> I am having trouble with R loop function in Tableau.

There is no "R loop function". (There is an R `for`-function.) If you are having trouble with code then it should be provided. If the problem is with the Tableau code then this is the wrong place. Tableau is not either free or open source. You would in that case need to contact Tableau or get assistance from your academic institution.

>  Please see the attachment of a simple dataset.

No data attached. Probably scrubbed by the mail server. Any data needs to be a .txt file.

> The problem is to test whether the value of columns is match.

There is a `match` function. It's vectorized, so may not need to be wrapped with a function that would provide looping.

> Because Tableau do not have iteration function, I coded “if statement” in Tableau to realize the function, which is slow if having huge amount of data. I wonder to integrate Tableau with R studio to realize this functionality.
>

> I did not find too much useful information online and I am asking helps for any examples of related low-level data calculation.

That is then the fault of Tableau (if true), since there is a huge amount of online documentation for R. The Rhelp Archives and StackOverflow have thousands of worked examples of "low-level data calculation". I suspect with estimated probability approaching unity that StackOverflow will have questions tagged jointly with [r] and [tableau].