[R] Calculating cumulative lengths of hierarchical topology

Alexander Shenkin ashenkin at ufl.edu
Mon Jul 3 11:40:38 CEST 2017

Hello All,

I need to calculate cumulative lengths along a hierarchical network
topology (it's a representation of a tree).  I can roll my own, but
thought that there might be a package out there that would handle
hierarchical network topology functions such as this nicely (and that
might bring along other useful functions as well).  However, I haven't
found one after searching.

I did find data.tree, which looks quite interesting, but it carries a
large overhead that doesn't seem quite appropriate for the relatively
simple structure I'm dealing with.

Could anyone point me to such a package if one does exist?

Thanks very much,
Allie

Example of the hierarchical topology:

      len parent_row daughter_row index_num
1 1.7053          0            2         1
2 1.1653          1            3         2
3 1.1980          2            4         3
4 1.1462          3            5         4
5 1.1346          4            6         5
6 1.1024          5            7         6