[R] remove

Val valkremk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 16:12:47 CET 2017

 Jeff, Rolf and Philip.
Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Jeff, you suggested if your data is big then consider data.table ....
My data is "big"  it is more than 200M  records and I will see if this
function works.

Thank you again.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 12:42 AM, Jeff Newmiller
<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> [...]
>            , FUN = function( n ) {
>               length( unique( DF[ n, "last" ] ) )
>              }
>            )
> result2 <- DF[ 1 == err2, ]
> result2
>
> and then you would have the option to re-use the "n" index to look at other
> columns as well.
>
> Finally, here is a dplyr solution:
>
> library(dplyr)
> result3 <- (   DF
>            %>% group_by( first ) # like a prep for ave or by
>            %>% mutate( err = length( unique( last ) ) ) # similar to ave
>            %>% filter( 1 == err ) # drop the rows with too many last names
>            %>% select( -err ) # drop the temporary column
>            %>% as.data.frame # convert back to a plain-jane data frame
>            )
> result3
>
> which uses a small set of verbs in a pipeline of functions to go from input
> to result in one pass.
>
> If your data set is really big (running out of memory big) then you might
> want to investigate the data.table or sqlite packages, either of which can
> be combined with dplyr to get a standardized syntax for managing larger
> amounts of data. However, most people actually aren't running out of memory
> so in most cases the extra horsepower isn't actually needed.
>

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017, P Tennant wrote:
>
>> Hi Val,
>>
>> The by() function could be used here. With the dataframe dfr:
>>
>> # split the data by first name and check for more than one last name for
>> each first name
>> res <- by(dfr, dfr['first'], function(x) length(unique(x$last)) > 1)
>> # make the result more easily manipulated
>> res <- as.table(res)
>> res
>> # first
>> # Alex   Bob  Cory
>> # TRUE FALSE FALSE
>>
>> # then use this result to subset the data
>> nw.dfr <- dfr[!dfr$first %in% names(res[res]) , ]
>> # sort if needed
>> nw.dfr[order(nw.dfr$first) , ]
>>
>>  first week last
>> 2   Bob    1 John
>> 5   Bob    2 John
>> 6   Bob    3 John
>> 3  Cory    1 Jack
>> 4  Cory    2 Jack
>>

>> Philip
>>
>> On 12/02/2017 4:02 PM, Val wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have a big data set and want to  remove rows conditionally.
>>> In my data file  each person were recorded  for several weeks. Somehow
>>> during the recording periods, their last name was misreported.   For
>>> each person,   the last name should be the same. Otherwise remove from
>>> the data. Example, in the following data set, Alex was found to have
>>> two last names .
>>>
>>> Alex   West
>>> Alex   Joseph
>>>
>>> Alex should be removed  from the data.  if this happens then I want
>>> remove  all rows with Alex. Here is my data set
>>>
>>> df<- read.table(header=TRUE, text='first  week last

>>> 2     Bob     2   John
>>> 3     Bob     3   John
>>> 4     Cory     1   Jack