[R] Difficulty Installing Packages

Bill Denney bill at denney.ws
Sat Aug 26 15:18:41 CEST 2017

Hi,

When installing packages in Windows (currently using Windows 10 with all
service packs), occasionally, I get a warning similar to the following:

package 'Rcpp' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

Warning in install.packages :

  unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Users\William
Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\file32701900456\Rcpp' to
'C:\Users\William Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\Rcpp'

This can occur when installing many packages where the package that could
not be moved (e.g. Rcpp) is a dependency.  In the end, the package where the
warning is issued is not available to load, and I have to spend time
figuring out why.  The usual reason is that for some reason during the
package install process the library directory ("C:\Users\William
Denney\Documents\R\win-library\3.4\") has been set to partially or fully
read-only.

I have a couple of questions:

*	Why is the directory set to read-only?  It happens almost every time
that I install packages that are compiled.  (It doesn't seem to occur with
interpreted-only packages.)
*	Shouldn't that warning be an error or at least prevent the packages
that depend on the one that couldn't be moved from being installed?  The way
that it tends to go, package installation completes with that warning, and
then I have to clean up the mess of missing dependencies.

Thanks,

Bill