[R] data frame question

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 18:06:22 CEST 2017

Your specification is a bit unclear to me, so I'm not sure the below
is really what you want. For example, your example seems to imply that
a and b must be of the same length, but I do not see that your
description requires this. So the following may not be what you want
exactly, but one way to do this(there may be cleverer ones!) is to
make use of ?rep. Everything else is just fussy detail. (Your example
suggests that you should also learn about ?seq. Both of these should
be covered in any good R tutorial, which you should probably spend
time with if you haven't already).

Anyway...

## WARNING: Not thoroughly tested! May (probably :-( ) contain bugs.

f <- function(x,y,switch_val =0)
{
   wh <- which(y == switch_val)
   len <- length(wh)
   len_x <- length(x)
   if(!len) x
   else if(wh[1] == 1){
      if(len ==1) return(rep(x[1],len_x))
      else {
         wh <- wh[-1]
         len <- len -1
      }
   }
   count <- c(wh[1]-1,diff(wh))
   if(wh[len] == len_x) count<- c(count,1)
   else count <- c(count, len_x - wh[len] +1)
   rep(x[seq_along(count)],times = count)
}

> a <- c(1:5,1:8)
> b <- c(0:4,0:7)