[R] Error with installed.packages with R 3.4.0 on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 12:08:05 CEST 2017

On 28/04/2017 4:45 AM, Thierry Onkelinx wrote:
> Dear Peter,
>
> It actually breaks install.packages(). So it is not that innocent.

I don't think he meant that it is harmless, he meant that the fix is
easy, and is in place in R-patched and R-devel.  You should use
R-patched and you won't have the problem.

More generally, there's a lot more variety of systems in the wild than
on our test machines, so we really do rely on people testing things in
the alpha/beta/rc phase.  In this case we saw the error too late to fix
it (as I recall, it was very late in rc).  If more people had tested, we
might have found it earlier.

Duncan Murdoch