[R] Overriding lack of i386 build for ROracle when updating packages

Laviolette, Michael Michael.Laviolette at dhhs.nh.gov
Fri Apr 28 20:51:17 CEST 2017

Since I query my Oracle warehouse often, I load the ROracle package on startup. Whenever I update packages from RStudio (which actually runs the install.packages function) with ROracle loaded, I get the following error:

Error: package 'ROracle' is not installed for 'arch = i386'

Unloading the package doesn't help; I have to edit my startup script to not load ROracle, then restart R, update packages, and restore my original startup script. I don' t have any use for 32-bit ROracle and am not sure that it exists (the package archive doesn't contain a "libs/i386" folder. Does anyone know of a way to override the lack of an i386 build when installing other packages?

Thanks,
M.L.