[R] Interesting quirk with fractions and rounding

JRG loesljrg at accucom.net
Fri Apr 21 14:48:15 CEST 2017

A good part of the problem in the specific case you initially presented
is that some non-integer numbers have an exact representation in the
binary floating point arithmetic being used.  Basically, if the
fractional part is of the form 1/2^k for some integer k > 0, there is an
exact representation in the binary floating point scheme.

> options(digits=20)

> (100*23)/40
[1] 57.5

> 100*(23/40)
[1] 57.499999999999992895

So the two operations give a slightly different result because the
fractional part of the division of 100*23 by 40 is 0.5.  So the first
operations gives, exactly, 57.5 while the second operation does not
because 23/40 has no exact representation.

But, change the example's divisor from 40 to 30 [the fractional part
from 1/2 to 2/3]:

> (100*23)/30
[1] 76.666666666666671404

> 100*(23/30)
[1] 76.666666666666671404

Now the two operations give the same answer to the full precision
available.  So, it isn't "generally true true in R that (100*x)/y is
more accurate than 100*(x/y), if x > y."

The key (in your example) is a property of the way that floating point
arithmetic is implemented.

---JRG