[R] question about the anova() function for deviance analysis

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 16:43:53 CEST 2017

On 16/04/2017 9:46 AM, Sophie Dubois wrote:
> Dear Maintener,
>> I have recently had a bad experience with the anova() function.
>> Indeed, I wanted to process a deviance analysis between 2 mixed linear
>> models and I was really surprise to see that depending on the ordre in
>> which I gave my models, the function did not the same thing: once it
>> makes the anova of the first model and in the other ordre, it makes a
>> deviance analysis.
>> I make lots of formations to researchers who are not always very
>> comfortable either with R or with some statistical analysis and they
>> were really very disturbed by that.
>> Could this be possible to "secure" this anova function in order that
>> it does the same thing whatever the order in which the models are given?
>> Hope I was clear enought and many thanks in advance for your regard
>> about my question.

Could you please post a simple example?  I am guessing that the models
you are comparing are from different modelling functions, so different
anova methods were called (it's the first argument that determines what
is called), but I'm not at all sure without seeing an example.

It doesn't need to be your original data, in fact simpler is better, but
it should be code that anyone can run.

Duncan Murdoch