[R] Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 22:46:51 CEST 2017

Bruce

The official documentation for these startup files can be obtained with the
command

Help(Startup)

at the R prompt or through search help in R studio.  I have used R in
various versions of Windows and Linux using the console version of R and
various IDEs including Rstudio and these have always worked as expected.
Rstudio has no specific effect on the location or use of these files. Now,
I only have access to PCs with windows 10 and can not check if there is any
specific problem with windows 7.  I did use the startup files in earlier
versions of windows and have no recollection of any problems. There are
some peculiarities with Windows that you might check.

Henrik has outlined some of the problems that may arise with file name
extensions. Windows does not display extensions for file names with known
extensions. Many windows programs add their file extension to files when
they save them. I used to recommend to students that they configure windows
explorer to display file extensions. This is relatively easy to do in
Windows explorer in any version of windows. needless to say many students
ignored this advice and later ran into problems.

Windows may have problems saving files that start with a period. I use
notepad++ as a general test editor. On my system notepad++ can save files
whose names start with a period. The editor in Rstudio can also do so on my
system. I do remember having problems with an earlier version of Windows.

On windows 10  one must right click on the notepad++ or other editor icon
and select run as administrator to edit a file in the Program Files
directory.  I don't remember to what extent this applies to Windows 7.

I have worked over the years with many people who were not native English
speakers even though they spoke very good English. The tone of their
interventions could sometimes cause problems. I think that the links that
you were given would have gone some way to solving your problem. I don't
think that the language used was intended to bully or cause offence. I
still think that an apology is in order. If someone volunteers an answer
look at its content rather than its brevity, tone or use of language. This
list depends on volunteers and they should be thanked rather than maligned.

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14