[R] the difference between "-" and "!" between base and data.table package

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sun Apr 16 09:51:28 CEST 2017

! is a logical operator... it means "not". When you write

lidx <- seq_along( mtcars[[ 1 ]] ) %in% train_indices

you end up with a vector of logical values for which ! makes sense. Since R supports logical indexing this can be a very convenient way to select one group or the other.

If you give an integer to the ! operator, any non-zero value is treated as TRUE, which can be useful sometimes but not in this case, since all of the train_indices are greater than zero. Look at what !train_indices actually is.

As the Introduction to R document says, integer indexing always starts at 1 instead of zero as in many other languages. This makes it feasible to let negative integers as indexes represent the idea of excluding those positions. Thus

identical( mtcars[ !lidx, ], mtcars[ -train_indices, ] )

The ItoR document is really quite informative to re-read occasionally. For example, look up indexing with a matrix as the index.