[R] A question on modeling brain growth using GAM

Simon Wood simon.wood at bath.edu
Thu Apr 6 14:22:05 CEST 2017

If 'subjIndexF' is a factor for subject, then s(subjIndexF, bs="re")
will produce a random effect for subject. i.e. each subject will be
given its own random intercept term, which is a way that repeated
measures data like this are often handled.

The reason for the s(subjIndexF, bs="re") syntax is that smooths can be
viewed as Gaussian random effects, so simple Gaussian random effects can
also be viewed as (0-dimensional) smooths. In general s(x,z,w,bs="re")
just appends the columns of model.matrix(~x:z:w-1) to the gam model
matrix, and treats the associated coefficients as i.i.d. Gaussian random
effects with a common variance (to be estimated). In principle this
works with any number of arguments to s(...,bs="re").

See ?random.effects (and its linked help files) in mgcv for more.

There are mechanisms for allowing random smooth curves for each subject,
(e.g. ?factor.smooth.interaction), but I would only use these if simpler
approaches really aren't adequate here.

best,
Simon

On 30/03/17 17:06, David Winsemius wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 2017, at 6:56 AM, Leon Lee <bhamlion78 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> David
>>
>> Thank you for your reply. I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum, as I really couldn't decide which forum is the best place for my question and I saw similar questions asked before in this forum.
>>
>> I agree that a sample of ~30 subjects (70 scans in total), the model can be too complicated. Based on that, I did the following:
>> (1) ignored the gender effect, as we have less females than males.
>> (2) corrected chronological age based on their gestational age, that is, we subtracted an infant's chronological age by 2 weeks, if the infant's gestational age is 38 weeks instead of 40weeks.
>>
>> When I ran the model with corrected age, gestational age and their interactions modeled, I found the main effect of gestational age and the interaction between the two are gone.
>>
>> So, my final model will look something like this:
>> gamObj=gam(brainVolume~ s(correctedAge) +  s(subjIndexF, bs="re"), method="REML", data=mydata)
>>
>> Does this look more reasonable?
> I'm still having difficulty understand how a "smoothing" function would be used to handle repeated measures without some sort of "group-within" indicator.
>
> I would have imagined (and this is because I have no experience with using this package for repeated measures) something along the lines of:
>
>   ...+s(correctedAg|subjIndexF)
>
> I see this statement in the docs:
>

> smooth.construct.re.smooth.spec {mgcv}
>
> "gam can deal with simple independent random effects, by exploiting the link between smooths and random effects to treat random effects as smooths. s(x,bs="re") implements this."
>
> But I don't see that as applying to the dependency between individuals measured repeatedly. I find no examples of repeated measures problems being solve by gam(). There is also a note on the same page:
>
> "Note that smooth ids are not supported for random effect terms. Unlike most smooth terms, side conditions are never applied to random effect terms in the event of nesting (since they are identifiable without side conditions)."
>
> When I do a search on "using gam mgcv formula mixed effects" I am referred to packages 'gamm' and 'gamm4' produced by the same author (Simon Wood) as pkg 'mgcv', or to package `nlme`.
>

>> Yes, I am relatively new to the mixed model. We originally applied functional data analysis (PACE) on the data, but want to see the results using a different approach. Also, I couldn't find the Mixed Models list, do you mind sending me a link?
> This is a link to the main mailing lists page:
>
> https://www.r-project.org/mail.html
>
> Found with a search on Google with "R mailing lists"
>

>> Thank you!
>> Longchuan
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 4:28 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 28, 2017, at 9:32 AM, Leon Lee <bhamlion78 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, R experts

> [...]

Simon Wood, School of Mathematics, University of Bristol BS8 1TW UK
+44 (0)117 33 18273     http://www.maths.bris.ac.uk/~sw15190