[R] Replying to replies in the forum

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Apr 5 22:27:53 CEST 2017

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 1:26 PM, Tunga Kantarcı <tungakantarci at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My question is specifically about what I should use in the subject
> line when replying, because I do not trust mail clients, or to myself
> as I use different clients sometimes. Hence, I wanted to learn a
> client free solution to correctly send replies. Now, the posting guide
> is not explicit about this. Hence my question. So what should I type
> in the subject line if I want to reply to a specific reply, and not to
> another reply, so that my reply is nested in the reply I want to
> reply. That I cannot figure out from the posting guide.

<snip>

Hi,

Perhaps I am confused.

If you have a copy of the post that you want to reply to in any modern e-mail client (desktop or web based), you can just use reply-all. The subject line will be retained, and if not already present, which would be the case for the first post in the thread, the "Re:" prefix will be added.

The e-mails of those participating in that particular post will also be retained, as will the list e-mail address.

Are you referring to a situation where you no longer have a copy of the post that you want to reply to in your e-mail client, so that you cannot just use reply-all to that specific post?

If so, that is a more cumbersome process...

Regards,

Marc