[R] Opening or activating a URL to access data, alternative to browseURL

Bob Rudis bob at rud.is
Thu Sep 29 23:09:31 CEST 2016

The rvest/httr/curl trio can do the cookie management pretty well. Make the
initial connection via rvest::html_session() and then hopefully be able to
use other rvest function calls, but curl and httr calls will use the cached
in-memory handle info seamlessly. You'd need to store and retrieve cookies
if you need them preserved between R sessions.

Failing the above and assuming this would not need to be lightning fast,
use the phantomjs or firefox web driver (either with RSelenium or some new
stuff rOpenSci is cooking up) which will then do what browsers do best and
maintain all this state for you. You can still slurp the page contents up
with xml2::read_html() and use the super handy processing idioms in the
scraping tidyverse (it needs it's own name).

A concrete example (assuming the URLs aren't sensitive) would enable me or
someone else to mock up something for you.