[R] Faster Subsetting

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:00:54 CEST 2016

Don't do it this way. You are reinventing wheels.

1. Look at package dplyr, which has optimized functions to do exactly
this (break into subframes, calculate on subframes, reassemble).  Note
also that dplyr is part of tidyverse. I use base R functionality for
this because I know it and it does what I need, but dplyr may be
better for your needs.

2. In base R, this would be done by by(): so for your example,

by(tmp, tmp$id, FUN,... )

where FUN is a function that does whatever you want on each sub-data
frame. e.g. if you wanted to just take the mean of foo for each
subframe:

by(tmp, tmp$id, function(x)mean(x$foo))

## (but there are better ways of doing such a simple function in base
R or dplyr)

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter