[R] Svyglm Error in Survey Package

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Sep 24 15:38:12 CEST 2016

Dear Courtney,

I think that you're confused about how to use the subset argument to svyglm() and about what the subset() function returns. The subset argument should be a logical expression, evaluating to TRUE or FALSE for each case; subset() returns a data set (e.g., a "survey.design" object).

Here's an example adapted from ?svyglm:

------------------- snip-------------------
data(api)
dstrat<-svydesign(id=~1,strata=~stype, weights=~pw, data=apistrat, fpc=~fpc)
summary(svyglm(api00~ell+meals+mobility, design=dstrat))
summary(svyglm(api00~ell+meals+mobility, design=dstrat, subset = pcttest > 90))
summary(svyglm(api00~ell+meals+mobility, design=subset(dstrat, subset = pcttest > 90)))

The last two commands produce the same results.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University