[R] if/else help

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Wed Sep 21 17:26:11 CEST 2016

Hopefully this is not a homework question.

The other responses are fine, but I would suggest the simplest way to do
exactly what you ask is

if (!exists('r4')) r4 <- data.frame(a=0, b=0, c=0, d='x')

The exists() function requires a character string for its first argument,
i.e., the name of the object, not the object itself (check the help page
for exists).

Using "get" to get it doesn't make sense if it already exists.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory