[R] Why removing the (Intercept) from lm is done by adding -1?

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:34:00 CEST 2016

Linear regression is of the form

y = mx + b

right?

And in R, - means omit, as in

mydataframe[, -1]

right?

But when you specify a formula within lm(), the intercept is implicit.
That is, you write:

y ~ x

and m and b are fitted.

So if you want to omit the intercept, you use 1 as a placeholder
rather than leaving the - dangling somewhere.

y ~ x - 1

But as you say, there are other ways, so use the one you like.

Note that if you really wanted to subtract 1 from x before fitting the
model, you'd need to make that clear to R:

y ~ I(x - 1)

This is all in the help for formula, where it says "The - operator
removes the specified terms".

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee