[R] Drill down reports in R

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Sep 13 18:36:13 CEST 2016

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Manohar Reddy <manu.reddy52 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jhon,
>

>  Thanks for responding my email ,actually my requirement is I have Orders and related tables and now I need to generate a report something looks like below whenever user click on “+” that report will be expanded .I know it is possible in SSRS (SQl Server Reporting Services) but now my requirement is I need to generate that kind of report in R.
>

>  If we look at screen shot (or PFA) almost 100244 order exists  8 times ,now I want to generate the report whenever user clicks on order 100244 and it needs to be expand and need to display the cost of all the products and what are the products they were purchased on this orderID .
>

> Note: in backend I did using Group by (sql) but I don’t know how to present in this report.
>

> Hi Marc,
>

>    Thanks,Currently I’m creating reports  using shinyapps only ,I have checked out throghly with shinyapps but I didn’t find any solution,is there any alternative way that I can use to genarate the drill down report.
>

>  Manu.

Hi Manu,

As noted, the type of functionality that you are looking for would typically require a GUI that supports dynamic interactions and updating. That is why there are dedicated reporting tools, as I noted, that have evolved over the years, to serve that need in the typical business domains where it is used.

Most of those tools typically interface with a live server database backend (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, etc.), a local database or spreadsheet file (e.g. MS Access or Excel via ODBC) or an intermediate "OLAP cube" construct, as the primary data repository to which dynamic queries are sent based upon user inputs from the GUI.

If Shiny does not have that in place already and you wanted to use Shiny, you would need to develop it on your own or have likely have to pay someone do it for you.

I am not aware of other possible R related GUIs that support that type of interaction, albeit, it is possible that somebody has done something that is not yet well publicized or may be for internal use only.

There are a variety of supporting technologies (e.g. AJAX, Java, etc.) that could provide for that type of functionality, either stand alone or within a browser based environment, but it would not be "pure R" per se.

It may also be possible that one of the other commercial R vendors (e.g. Microsoft) have built something on top of a server version of R and you would need to contact them to see if that is the case.

Regards,

Marc