[R] R-specific Software Requirement Specification

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:31:56 CEST 2016

On 08/09/2016 10:15 AM, Michael Friendly wrote:
> devtools::document() is meant to be used within an R **package**, not
> for a standalone file.
> Try devtools::create() first.
>
> But at any rate, roxygen format seems to answer your question about
> how to describe the
> specifications for a collection of functions written by different
> people.  Translation to .Rd
> is not essential for this purpose.

I would say that separate Rd files would be preferable here.  If Harold
writes the spec and puts it in Roxygen comments in a .R file, then
Michael writes the function to match the comments, Michael may
accidentally edit the Roxygen comments at the same time.  It's more work
for Harold to notice that his spec has been changed than if it is in a
separate file.

Duncan Murdoch