[R] Using apply on a three dimensional matrix and passing multiple arguments to user defined function

Adams, Jean jvadams at usgs.gov
Wed Sep 7 15:17:50 CEST 2016

Justin,

I don't think you can get the apply() function to return an array.  You
could use lapply() instead, and then use simplify2array() to convert the
list of matrices to an array.  Also, in your mask() function you don't need
the which() and you should return the x.  See my example with toy data
below.

# toy data
nlon <- 2
nlat <- 4
ntime <- 3
data <- array(1:(nlon*nlat*ntime), dim=c(nlon, nlat, ntime))
lsmask <- array(sample(0:1, size=nlon*nlat, replace=TRUE), dim=c(nlon,
nlat))

# newly defined function
mask <- function(x, y) {
  x[y==0] <- NA
}

# doit
data2 <- simplify2array(lapply(1:ntime, function(i) mask(data[, , i],
lsmask)))

You may prefer to stick with the for() loop approach (for clarity or
simplicity or ...)  When I ramped up the toy data to much larger
dimensions, the lapply() approach was only slightly faster than the for()
loop approach on my PC.

data3 <- data
data3[ , , i] <- mask(data3[ , , i], lsmask)

Jean