[R] can we visualize water flows with 3d in R?

Duncan Mackay dulcalma at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 14 10:13:06 CEST 2016

Hi Marna

These are a few suggestions for EDA of your data

Firstly check it – it is laborious work but it needs to be done – use a proper database if R is not suitable (memory,time)

dat <- read.csv("G:/1/example_subsetdata.csv")

dat <- subset(dat, !is.na(depth))

apply(dat,2,range,na.rm=T)

table(cut(dat$depth, breaks = seq(496.5, 498.5, 0.25), include.lowest = TRUE, labels = F)) # needs more groups to even out numbers

# use hand drafted breaks

table(dat$Y)

dat$ldepth <- cut(dat$depth, breaks = seq(496.5, 498.5, 0.25), include.lowest = TRUE, labels = F)

xyplot(Y ~ X|factor(ldepth), subset(dat, Y > 400), pch = ".", as.table = TRUE)

xyplot(flow ~ X|factor(ldepth), subset(dat, Y > 400), pch = ".", as.table = TRUE, col =1)

xyplot(flow ~ Y|factor(ldepth), subset(dat, Y > 400), pch = ".", as.table = TRUE, col =1)

I have made pch = ‘.’ so that  points are not overtopping. increase by by units ie cex = 2 , cex =3 if you want to make them larger

Have a look a lattice::par.settings  and names(trellis.par.get()) these will make things easier if you you are using panel functions.

I did not go further but the next step in this would be lattice 3d plots contourplot wireframe etc.
You will get more information in working with the full dataset

I have not really gone into spatials  but you should look at the task view on spatial analysis.
and the spatial SIG

How you proceed will be partly determined by your future requirements of which I am not qualified.

Regards

Duncan